If you are having trouble paying your mortgage or have already paused your monthly payments through a forbearance, here are some resources that may help:
- A guide to mortgage relief options from the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau offers a tool to find out who owns your mortgage.
- The Department of Housing and Urban Development offers a list of housing counselors on its website. Abayomi CDC is a HUD and MSHDA approved housing counseling agency.
- The National Housing Resource Center offers a directory of mortgage servicers. Servicers are generally supposed to contact you 30 days before your forbearance period ends to discuss your situation and your options. But if you don’t hear from them, or are concerned about what comes next, be proactive and call them.
- Your state may be offering additional protections.
- If you’re having a problem with your mortgage servicer, you can file a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. It will forward the complaint to the company and work to get a response, generally within 15 days.