You know your child is an adolescent (semi-formed human) when she or he:
- Gives you attitude over stuff that’s never been an issue before.
- Refuses to do what you ask.
- Agrees to do it and then (un)wittingly “forgets”
- Denies they ever agreed to anything.
- Says “You don’t get it!” at least twice a day.
- Insults you under his/her breath.
- Mocks you to your face.
- Doesn’t text you back then swears they never got the msg.
- Slams doors, screams, roars, cries regularly.
- Is not much fun to live with.
Experts tell parents of teens, “Don’t take their words or behavior personally.” Stellar advice. Realistic? Not so much. We want a hug. They want to break up. Try not taking that personally.